Don't go to the UPS store on Broadway and 104th. It is a rip off.

We had been clearing out our old files and I knew the UPS in the Bronx charged $1.00 a pound to shred old papers. They simply put them in a locked container and UPS picked them up to shred. We were heading into Manhattan so I called the UPS closest to our stops, that being the UPS store at 104th street on Broadway and asked if they did shredding. I assumed all prices would be around the same amount. My boyfriend ran our 30 lbs of paper ( 20 years of documents) in and he came out $90.00 poorer.

When he asked if this was the store I had called they said yes and when he questioned the price, they simply said that's what we charge. There was no sign anywhere. They had already weighed the papers and were somewhat dismissive. It was outrageous. When I called to check on the price they simply said that's what it costs here it doesn't matter what anyone else charges, that's our price.

If I had gone in I would have picked up the paper and left. Unfortunately, the papers were put in the locked canister and that was it. UPS should control their franchise prices better. It's completely misleading to have one price differ so much within a ten mile radius.

I am completely disappointed in UPS allowing a franchise to set their own ridiculous prices. That is more than a McDonald's employee

earns in a day.

Reason of review: overcharging.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Had an Experience with Ups Store?

Comments

Nick1346
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States #911801

Your boyfriend is ***.While $3/lb is quite a bit more expensive, but that's what they charge.

Your BF should have realize that before he paid.

Either way, UPS doesn't to the shredding it's a third party company, either Iron Mountain or UShredding.The stores are individually owned franchises and therefore have the right to set their own prices.