Ups Store - UPS Package Lost / Stolen by UPS Empoyees

So last Friday I went to my local UPS store to ship off these brand two new iPhone 6 which I had stood in line for the whole night to get.The phones were bought at retail so I paid close to $1900 dollars.

So I walk in the store and have the employees package the phones for me in a box. I chose the Next day delivery. The girl working there asked me if I wanted to get insurance. Now in my head I'm thinking it'll get there tomorrow and I wasn't too worried about it getting damaged because they were brand new phones which are packaged pretty well by apple.

So I choose to be a little stingy and not get the insurance (bad move). So I pay for the shipping get the tracking number etc. Next day I check with my sister ( it was around noon when they should've arrived) and she tells me no phones yet. I tell her not to worry that they'll show up by the end of the day.

By now I was feeling pretty happy with myself thinking I just saved $120 dollars on shipping. So no phones showed up that day and I didn't think too much of it figuring UPS is just busy with this whole iPhone launch thing. So monday rolls around ( exactly 3 days from shipping day) and still no phones. Now I'm worried I call my local UPS store and get told by some rude employee that they don't have the package and that the driver from the warehouse came and picked it up on friday.

I then track my shipping label which says that the labels have been created and the package is awaiting to be picked up from the local UPS store . So clearly something isn't right because the website should've said the box getting checked in. I called corporate UPS and they notify me that they will start an investigation on the missing package. Today is tuesday and still NO PACKAGE.

I call my UPS store and the employee tells me I should wait a month and if the package doesn't show up I can file for a claim and receive the money for the shipping cost, and since I didn't get any insurance they won't pay me anything for phones. I'm in such dismay, I have a feeling that the employees at the UPS store stole my phones because after digging around on the net I learnt that the store has had other customers which have had their packages just disappear magically. The package never seem to get to the warehouse which sends them to other terminals.

My question is has this ever happened to anyone before?Also I would really appreciate someone guiding me on what I should do next.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Turnaround Time

Reason of review:
Problem with delivery
Preferred solution:
Deliver product or service ordered
Monetary loss:
Product or service
Iphone6 Shipping
Review category
review #537467 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Ups Store? Submit review ›
Helpful? 6 Yes 6 2 No 2
Had the same issue 33 Yes 33
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Sep 18 #1214762 Los Angeles, California

UPS stores are franchisees, you risk it , better go to the UPS hubs, where it is company own, see the difference

Aug 29 #1205345 Burbank, California

I purchased an item of approximately $160 over the internet, and they shipped it accordingly. Product was supposed to arrive today, not knowing my family members' schedule, I chose to use the "Authorization Release" option, which voids the need for a signature upon delivery and allow the sender to just leave the merchandise at your front door (or anywhere you prefer). The product arrived today, and LUCKILY my sister-in-law was home, so the UPS driver then asked her to sign for the package, she refused, and thankfully she did because the box was opened and the item was missing!!! My thought is the UPS guy knew that signature is not required, therefore probably assumed no one was home, and then took the package and could always blame the neighbors/thieves for doing it, but when he realizes that someone was actually home, he tried to have my sister-in-law sign it, but *** enough to try and give her an opened, empty box.

Jan 29 #1102687

Same thing happened to me. Package says just as you described in the tracking like it never left. It probably left in their car. I'm not going to take the $100 lost item money because if my package is found and I took the $100, they won't give me my item since the case is now closed. I remember having a bad intuitive feeling about this shipment as I walked into the UPS Store before handing my item to them.

Jan 21 #1098853

Hi..did you ever get the package? I am so upset. Our father sent something last Thursday to us. He took his life that night. He wanted something to come to us and they cannot locate it. I don't know what to do

Feb 04 #1106093

Call UPS

Feb 04 #1106527

I'm sorry to hear that... No I never received the package

Jan 12 #1093603

I have a little inside info about what happens when a package goes missing. Lets assume it never made it to your address at all.
1. Any investigation to find the missing package will be stalled for 8 business days AFTER the scheduled delivery date.
2. The delivery centers are supposed to (but rarely) send stuff off to lost and found every day.
3. The folks on the phone will make little to no effort to actually 'find' it for you. The total amount of time they will actually invest in looking for it is around 20 seconds. two quick searches max.
4. Claims are only paid to the company who shipped the package through UPS, not you directly. That process can take 3 weeks.
5. If you ever get a claim paid your address will be permanently blacklisted. Drivers will never release a package at your door without a signature again. 6. A claim is only paid out up to the actual declared value at the time a shipment is created. Otherwise it's a max of 100 dollars. 7. If your package is not found within 30 days and someone else calls in for a missing package that matches yours, UPS can send it to them as a substitute. No kidding. 8. If your package is not found within 90 days of entering lost and found it is destroyed or sold at auction (or pocketed by an employee.) Shipping a cellphone through UPS? Don't expect it to reach it's destination. The investigation rate is over 30% for cellphone shipments, and those NEVER show up the lost and found areas. Moral of
... Show more

Jan 26 #1101273

Hi, where are you located? I'm not so surprised to hear this information. I recently shipped an iphone 6s with UPS, original packaging, and received an empty box. They always referred to my case as "lost or damaged", when it's clear someone opened the box, stole the phone, and resealed it. I've been very curious to find out what type of investigation is done into theft, if any at all. I am taking UPS, not the UPS store to small claims court, because I believe that the phone was stolen after it left the UPS store, at the distribution center and sold on craigslist (got a call from the buyer on craigslist who was having trouble with the phone and found my number). Any advice you can give would be amazing. Thank you.

Feb 04 #1106529

Hey thanks for this info.. If only amazon had a different carrier for their shipments I'd never deal with these a$$holes. From now on anything I'm personally shipping to someone I'm going to use USPS. I learnt my lesson with UPS

Jan 03 #1088209

Just sent a box of Christmas gifts from my in laws in Georgia back to Texas. When I got the box, it had been opened and retaped. A $300 pair of boots are missing.

Jan 04 #1088705

The same thing happened to me. I ordered a pair of 200.00 boots on Christmas...they have been out for delivery since Thursday, and all of a sudden now no tracking information is available.

Jan 21 #1098818 Exton, Pennsylvania

This legit just happened to my wife and I with Christmas gifts shipped from Milwaukee to Philly area. The box had been opened so they could steal the food processor and then retaped. They denied the claim that we put in and gave us the run around about box specifications and the UPS store denied the claim. Either way the franchise store and UPS suck. Out 150 for the item and 120 for shipping.

Dec 18, 2015 #1080474 Janesville, Wisconsin

So you pay 1900 for phones, then pay out the a$$ for next day air, but you skimp on the insurance? b/s. You're not telling the entire story.

1 1 Reply

Feb 04 #1106534

Dude why the *** would I lie? I've never experienced stuff going missing from the mail. I didn't know these guys were literally thieves and companies like UPS would have such loopholes for missing or lost shipments. UPS pays a lot to its drivers so I never imagined someone would be so *** to steal and risk losing their job. Plus I always assumed insurance was for just in case their delivery truck burns the shipment in an accident. So wait what possible story am I hiding that I can't share on a website that's made for venting and info?

Jun 01, 2015 #990235

The phones were clearly stolen. Gotta get insurance. I'm from south Florida, I know plenty of people that wouldn't hesitate to steal an iPhone 6 and resell it. Don't understand why you would pay 1900 for the phones, 100 for shipping, and not pay for insurance. Blows my mind. Not your fault, just saying

5 2 Reply

May 15, 2015 #984719

Yes, it happened to me last week. I was told to file a report via the local police station. The saving grace was the tracking number had been switched, this means the item was tampered with after I left. The location I was at was in Rowlette in Texas out side of Dallas. The best tip I have is count it as a loss and pursue relentlessly. I plan to pull in the local news stations. I also have an appointment to speak with the local detective shortly.

Apr 09, 2015 #970171 Dallas, Texas

It's funny how the same exact situation happen to me when i ship my galaxy s6 edge.... the difference with our story is 2 different tracking number was created when my package was ship and one was voided..The store told me the exact same thing they told u about the driver picking it up and not scanning.. but i get the feeling the store stole it and trying to pass it off on the driver .i call the customer service line but all i hear is i'll make notes and i understand your frustration. My question is "what should i say to the claim team to guarantee it get my money back" ... any tips will help.

Apr 02, 2015 #967279 Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania

Twice I've ordered a 47.5 pound package, once it showed up broken after being lost and so I returned it. Purchased the same package from another vendor and this time it completely disappears. I will never use UPS again! How can you lose a 47.5 pound package. I'll just go to a Brick and Mortar store and pick this ish up myself!!!

Mar 19, 2015 #960650 Baltimore, Maryland

It should not take a month to be reimbursed for the packages. Call UPS directly. Likewise, the shipper (the phone store) is still responsible for getting the product to the customer. It is their responsibility to deal with UPS to begin with.

5 3 Reply

Feb 13, 2015 #945350

Yes! I was near my local ups store last week so I mailed package for grandsons birthday. I don't like ups because I have had 2 packages stole but not from this store. I mailed it when it did not arrive I checked tracking no. Said label was being created! Called ups store they claimed it was shipped, I replied really because there is no history from the tracking. They replied I could get free shipping lol. Do not trust Ups I believe they hire thieve.

1-20 of 35 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.