3K views

Just stumbled upon this site.I have used the ups Store a couple of times and had the impression that it was operated by ups.

I always pack everything myself as I trust myself more than others when it comes to things I care about. I just used them for convenience dropping boxes off to be shipped on a Sat as ups are not open on Sat.

I also a good estimate as to what shipping cost will be, but was in shock when I was quoted almost double at the ups store. And when I called ups to inquire about the disparity, I was told that the ups store is independent from ups. Yes they charge you for just leaving the package at the place awaiting pickup (a lot at that).

So, no more patronizing the ups store. Folks, it is not hard or expensive to buy some shipping supplies and pack it securely yourself and bring it to the ups office.

The ups store is a middle man and from what I have read, does not justify their price for the type of services they provide.You feel better and more in control of the fate of the items you are shipping.

Had an Experience with Ups Store?

Comments

I wondered about this. I will be taking my shipments to UPS from now on unless I need to use the third party for convenience sake.

I would not recommend using the UPS store for any of your shipping needs. They will tell you it is the same price for their services but they add exorbitant surcharges on to everything making it much higher that other outlets. Unless you want to be overcharged do not ship at any UPS store locations.

South Elgin, Illinois, United States #1102996

I had my wife take a 5 pound package to a UPS Store to ship via UPS ground with a declared value of $4,000.The retail rate for Declared Value on UPS.com is $.90 per $100 of valuation, but at the UPS Store it was more than twice that!

My wife was charged more than $88 for the shipment. It seems these stores are free to charge whatever they want on value added services such as declared value and there are no published rates available online. You are at there mercy when you walk in. UPS may think it's a clever way to comp the franchise stores, but it's a very poor reflection on UPS.

A 100% markup is simply price gouging.I for one will take my business elsewhere.

to Anonymous Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States #1103665

The UPS Stores typically do charge more for the add-on services like "Declared Value." They do not charge more for the shipping itself.The reason they charge more is because they handle the claims paperwork if a package gets lost or damaged by UPS.

The rates cannot be published online because each store is individually owned and charge a different price.It's not the same at each UPS Store so it's not feasible to publish those online.

They do not charge you for you to just drop a box off.Also the price for shipping varies from account to account depending on what tier level you have.

The UPS stores have regulated pricing per their franchise agreement.Get your facts straight.

I used a UPS Store just a mile from my house to send a box of Christmas gifts from VA to WI which weighed about 21 pounds and it cost me $41 for regular ground shipment.I paced it myself and the package arrived in 3 days (shipped on 18 Dec and arrived at destination on 21 Dec).

This Store told me they couldn't guarantee delivery by Christmas and tried to get me to a $84 guaranteed delivery.

These places are a total ripoff.Cheaper to drive to a Real UPS location of FedEx if available - lesson learned.

to Anonymous #922747

What they meant is Ground service is not money back guaranteed like 3-day service is.That's the same if you took it to a UPS hub.

That's because of the extra volume of packages during the holidays. The prices are the same at both places.

The individual UPS Stores do charge extra for add on services like insurance because they handle the claim for you.Everything else is the same.

to Nick1346 #1079149

Nick1346, you are incorrect. The UPS store also charges a $0.20 cent processing fee that is not charged by UPS. Facts are Facts.

to Tony Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States #1090167

No, I am not incorrect.UPS Ground is not guaranteed from December 11 to December 24th.

UPS 3, 2, and 1 Day services are guaranteed. However, UPS Stores do end up charging a 20 cent fee imposed by UPS through The UPS Stores.

$0.20 is negligible which is why we say it's the same.Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get notified of the reply until someone else posted in here.

Tustin, California, United States #865542

Those denying overcharging and those proclaiming employees can't overcharge under threat of franchise revocation are liars, likely franchisees trying to protect an illusion.Here's the real deal.

When FedEx acquired Kinko's, a company called Mailboxes Etc. was approached by UPS to create their version of convenient shipping outlets. Not wanting to invest a bunch of capital towards ownership and management of thousands of locations, UPS created an arrangement with Mailboxes Etc. franchisee owners to couple the UPS name in exchange for certain perks.

To make the name change appealing to the franchisees, UPS devised a system that allowed any package, originating from any UPS Store(previous Mailboxes Etc.), to enjoy a significant discount on shipping fees tendered for shipping, regardless of what they charge the shipping customer. In other words, contrary to the liars and franchisees who've posted to the contrary, the UPS Store can and will charge any amount of money they can successfully charge those *** enough to pay, without any retribution. This perk enabled UPS to create thousands of locations, virtually overnight, without significant investment. Which the perk, something I'm angrily and painfully aware of, these greedy franchisees would have little incentive to carry the UPS name.

Of course, some issues can be explained via checking wrong box, errors in stated weight and size, but the vast majority of instances related to gouging is simply...