6K views

I was mailing a package through UPS and needed some stamps. I bought a roll of 100.

When she said it would be $55.00 I should have realized that wasn't right but I was in a rush and had a 100 things on my mind. It wasn't until after I was driving back to work it dawned on me a roll of 100 stamps should only be $45.00. As soon as I got back to work I called them. They told me they have an an up-charge.

I said "But $10.00!?!?" The guy said sheepishly, "yeah". I told him I would know better next time. I shouldn't have been so ***. But that seriously should be illegal!

UPS should also tell customers when they're overcharging that they have an up-charge for all USPS products and services and how much it is. I would not have been that much out of the way for me to stop at the post office and save $10!

Comments

They charge .60 for a stamp!!! That should be illegal

I was upcharged so that each stamp came out to 63 cents each. I was also in a hurry and when I called to ask the girl had no clue.

Then said ‘oh that is just what we charge’ I’m returning the stamps.

Not really that convenient. I could have stepped next door to CVS and bought them there.

Paid $59.00 for 5 books (because they didn't have a roll) yesterday at the UPS store in Midlothian Va., store# 4697. Apparently they can charge whatever they feel like charging, regardless of what the official price of a stamp it. Won't do that again!!

Still going on in 2018. I gave my assistant $50 to buy a roll of stamps, but unfortunately, she decided to avoid the line at the post office and ran into the USP store.

When she gave me the receipt a few days later, she mentioned that I hadn't given her enough money.My first thought was that the price of a first class stamp had gone up to $0.60, but I knew that wasn't right because I had bought some stamps at the post office a few weeks earlier.

That's when I noticed the receipt was from the UPS store and not USPS.I don't blame my assistant, since I didn't specifically tell her to go to the post office, and I was on vacation when she bought them. However, I did make her aware of the UPS store's tax policy and not to buy stamps there anymore.

Same thing happened to me. Went to UPS to mail a pkg and needed stamps too.

I thought of it as I drove off that that didn't seem right. Post office is 9.80 for a book and I think it was 14.40 I paid. I called when I got home and checked. They should tell you that there is an upcharge.

Grocery stores that sell stamps don't charge extra. Highway robbery. I didn't think that would be allowed. Last time doing that.

Pissed. Price gouging!

Agreed, that’s BS. I looked it up because I just got ripped off at UPS too.

$13 for 20 stamps! I asked what a stamp cost and he said a book is $13.

He knew what I was asking. Thanks for nothing store 3224

same here. $11 for a book of stamps.

Didn't realize until the next day. Last time that's happening!!

I was charge .80 cents for ONE REGULAR STAMP. This is a total rip off and the Governor should look into this as price gouging.

An hour ago, for the same reasons you stated, being in a hurry, the same damned thing happened to me. I bought other things there too, but when I got home, I realized that the one hundred 49 cent stamps cost me $59.

I felt like a fool! I'll never do that again!

to Terri Schroder #1454489

Paid $4.50 FOR 6 STAMPS IN JACKSONVILLE FL. WILL NOT BUY ANY MORE FROM IPS STORE

Fort Mill, South Carolina, United States #1336519

Wish I would have read this sooner. I just got ripped off too by The UPS store in Rock Hill- $12.50 for a book of stamps!!

Seriously :( I was on my lunch hour and this store was close by. I will NEVER use them again!!!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, United States #1264884

Today I was charged 60 cents for a 47 cent stamp.I didn't realize they charged extra.No more stamps at UPS.

Clive, Iowa, United States #1250971

I just purchased 2 books of Christmas stamps at a UPS store and paid almost $6 more. I learned a lesson the hard way.

LadyScot
to Anonymous Naples, Florida, United States #1251080

It is called a convenience fee. UPS Store is not affiliated in any way with the post office. Why you people can not understand why you pay more is beyond me.

to LadyScot #1436892

Exactly!

to LadyScot #1465477

Because the grocery stores, corner stores, AND drugs stores near the UPS Store sell them for face value.

Macon, Georgia, United States #1238077

No they break even and most likely the post office puts the vending machine in the store and pays a monthly fee for space in theiNo they break even and most likely the post office puts the vending machine in the store and pays a monthly fee for space in the stores(Kroger does this cannot speak for other grocery stores) so you can bet grocery stores do make money just not on the sale of stamps for the customer in this case scenario. I know this first hand as we owned a paper and had to pay Kroger(actually that was only store we had to pay a monthly fee but it was so worth it as our paper's circulation went way up) & another condition was we couldn't charge the normal ten cent per paper.

Kroger said we could place our weekly publications in all their stores but their customers would get the Penny Pincher for FREE! :-) YOU can bet grocery stores do make money just not on the customer in this case scenario.

I know this first hand as we owned a paper and had to pay Kroger(actually that was only store we had to pay a monthly fee but it was so worth it as our paper's circulation went way up) & another condition was we couldn't charge the normal ten cents.Kroger said we could place our weekly publications but their customers would get the Penny Pincher for FREE! :-)

Macon, Georgia, United States #1238075

I'm that person that would pick up the quarter if it was laying in the parking lot. No shame in that.

I know after my one time experience to go to the post office and they're very nice. They think it's not lawful because it's a federal government's decision on cost but I believe the ups store can and still does make a marginal profit but kroger, Wal-Mart, Amazon.com, all those outlets charge the same as the post office.

UPS is for mailing boxes but I imagine you can do the same for less at the post office. There's not always a long line plus they're very nice and hospitable.

to Julia Vaughn Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States #1251880

The UPS Stores charge more while Walmarts charge the same is because it is a main stream of profit for The UPS Stores. Walmart offers it as a convince because they charge extra for merchandise they sell.

By that logic, Walmart should not be allowed to markup TVs because the manufacturer sold it to Walmart for less. By the way, the federal government didn't decide the price since the Post Office isn't actually owned by the government.

Macon, Georgia, United States #1238072

That's exactly right in the state of Georgia also. I bought stamps there one time.

Key to that last statement is "1", for the exact same reason as the person above stated. I didn't even realize it was legal for them to make money off of the usps. Not positive of this is still true. I think I did this about 10+ years ago.

The post office told me they are NOT supposed to make money off regular USA stamps and that it is not legal; however I'd have to research the codes of Georgia (O.C.G.A ) to know for sure. I'd think it is legal or they'd be fined severely.